Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Food Ethics with Yoleine Pichardo

      Hello my name is Yoleine Pichardo. Welcome to my blog. I am a 19 year old dominican girl living in Brooklyn, NY. I am attending LaGuardia Community College. For this semester I will be taking a course on how to learn how to write a research paper with my professor, Alexander.
      As our first top on food habits, I would like to tell you a little bit about my eating habits. The good thing about living in my house is that its just me and my mother, so I don't mind cooking because it's only a small amount. I actually enjoy cooking, whether it's breakfast, lunch, dinner or desert. I love to invent. I mostly get my ingredients from supermarkets such as Associated, Keyfood or Food Bazar. Vegetables and fruits are usually bought by my mother at little stands around my neighborhood since they tend to be fresher.
       I love to eat almost everything. I'm open minded to trying new things as long as I have heard about it and/or it doesn't include onions, peppers or mushrooms. One thing that scares me is that after learning some of things that we learned in this class, I feel like I'll be disgusted by the foods that I eat now. I honestly don't have any special or favorite food. The only food that I find special is my mom's food. She takes her time while making it and actually care if I eat it or not.
       I feel if I knew where my food came from, I wouldn't be as concerned as to what I eat. I would safe and comfortable and would actually get to enjoy my food because I know exactly where it came from. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Yoliene .

    I have to agree with you and a whole bunch of other people in our class.

    Everyone is concerned about what the effects of the class topic will do to their eating habits. LOL.

    I agree with as well that when you're cooking for less people, the experience is more enjoyable... like I cook for my boyfriend and I and it is less frustrating than cooking for 7 or 8 people.

    Your mom is right about those other vegetables being fresher... If only I had one of those little markets around my house...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I agree as well about really thinking more about where our foods come from. I swear this class is going to turn me into not only an activist but a vegetarian, haha. Your lucky that when you make food at your house, its for two. If im making breakfast for myself, everyone tends to yell out "MAKE ME SOME!" and im stuck making about 10 pancakes, but i dont blame them since i make bangin' pancakes. My mom used to buy all the vegetables and fruits at markets stands like the ones you are talking about, but since they shut down all the ones around my house, she gets them from the Key Food around the house.

    ReplyDelete